Things to do in DC: exhibitions, movies, concerts
It will rain most of the week, bring an umbrella!
So what should you do from May 23-29?
For your convenience, this newsletter includes emojis to help you during these unprecedented times:
- The 🛋 indicates that an event is happening in person inside.
- The 🌲 indicates that an event is happening in person outside.
- The 💻 indicates that an event is happening virtually.
- And finally, the 🆓 indicates that an event is free.
Top 5 picks of the week
- DC Black Pride. 🌈 From May 27 to May 30, party and celebrate black pride (starts Fri, $, 🛋, various events)! Or watch the documentary Seeing Eyes/Sensitive Heart (Fri, 🆓, 🛋, Mount Pleasant).
- Closing of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. 💖 Shop among over 17 artists and designers, and sample a variety of Asian restaurants, Sari-Sari pop-up market (Sun, 🆓, 🛋/🌲, Edgewood). Or consult a South Asian pop-up (Sat, $, 🛋, 14th St.). There are also some film screenings, like To run away (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋, Kennedy Center), After the month (Wed, 🆓, 🛋 , Southwest)and Journey to the East (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋, Takoma). This is your last week to check “Hung Liu: Portraits of Promised Lands, 1968-2020” at the National Portrait Gallery.
- Remembrance Day Events. 🇺🇸 Besides the paradeyou might be interested in a “Tribute to Memorial Day” (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋 , National Mall) concert. There are also events recognizing women in the military, including a tour of Arlington National Cemetery that highlights women in front (Sat, $35, 🌲, Arlington) plus a conference on Black Women in World War II (Sun, 🆓, 🛋, Benning). The National Army Museum will host a variety of events all weekend, such as poppy-paper crafts as well as movies. Attend a LGBTQ+ Veteran Social Network (Tuesday, 🆓, 🛋, Capitol Hill)!
- Outdoor movies. 🎞 I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t rain too much this week! Some classic outdoor movies are shown, such as The princess to be married (Tuesday, 🆓, 🌲, Adams Morgan), The Lion King (Sun, 🆓, 🌲, home port) and The Sandlot (Mer, 🆓, 🌲, NoMa).
- Other ways out. 🎸 Try various climbing and fitness games (Sat, 🆓, 🛋, National Landing). Attend the last of the Spring Jazz concert series with the DMV Percussion Academy (Sea, 🆓, 🌲, Waterfront). Move your feet to 7th Annual Dance and Music Festival (Sun, 🆓, 🌲, Silver Spring).
Everything else this week
- Embassy events. 🇸🇪🇰🇷🇬🇹 The House of Sweden is organizing an outdoor screening on Sami artist Britta Marakatt-Labba (Wed, 🆓, 🌲, Georgetown). The Korean Cultural Center launches an immersive art exhibition, “Korea: Imagine Cubically” (starts Friday, 🆓 but timed passes required, 🛋, Kalorama) Tip: if you like Artechouse or the Van Gough exhibition, you’ll love it! The Embassy of Guatemala (Wed, $59, 🛋, Kalorama) will be open after hours for an evening of food, film and art.
- Reflection concerts. 🎶 Listen to Damien Geter An African-American requiem (Monday, $15+, 🛋, Kennedy Center), which incorporates the traditional Latin requiem with statements relating to racial violence against African Americans. Attend a benefit concert for Ukraine (Thursday, $35, 🛋/🌲, Van Ness) at the Hillwood Museum – first you might want to take a look at his porcelain exhibition, closing soon.
- Other events for reflection. 🤍 Attend a discussion with the mother of Trayvon Martin (Tuesday 🆓, 🛋, National Mall). Learn about the growing threat of voter suppression (sea, 🆓, 🛋, downtown). Find out how language commands (Thursday, 🆓, ⚡️) women and other marginalized genders. Find out how refugees and immigrants reinvent and revive their cultural identity (Thursday, 🆓, 🛋, 16th St.).
- Rediscover your neighborhood. 🍻 Take a walking tour with a transport engineer to understand street design (Wed, 🆓, 🌲, Rosslyn). Meet your neighbors with a walk in the trees of buds and mosses (Thursday, 🆓, 🌲, Brookland).
- A film festival for all kinks. 🎞 Watch erotic short films hosted by sex advice columnist Dan Savage (Fri-Sat, $25, 🛋, 14th St.).
- Travel in the world . . .🍷 by Pink (Fri, $45, 🛋, Capitol Hill).
- Bring your dog to the bar. 🦮 There is a yapping hour (Thursday, 🆓, 🌲, Edgewood) and one Dog Day! (Sun, $5, 🛋, park view).